Friday, May 2, 2008

testing... testing...

It's past midnght now, and I'm still up infront of my laptop thinking of the things happened to me in the office for the past weeks and months. It has been a rollercoaster ride for me having to experience the highs and lows of working in a fast-paced environment.

It's tough to be a QA in an airline industry, testing web applications that goes live in the world wide web. I said fast-paced because we are working in an agile environment. You get to work for about 3 weeks in every Iteration. Before beginning a new iteration, a review is needed to go through all the tasks that was done in the previous one. Then, comes the planning, depending on the planning is the success of the next iteration. After that, the development follows and then comes the testing. The learning curve for a newbie is 2-3 months to be able to cope up with the work that needs to be done by the QA.

Sanity testing is the first thing to be done, to see if there are no showstoppers, all the functionalities are working fine and in place, then testing of the issues that the client has raised. If ever the QA saw a regression issue or a defect, it will also be logged as an RTS issue and needs to be fixed by a developer. This job is very challenging for me. As a QA for over 4 years, I've handled Rate Testing, which is testing of Home Insurance's rates which is actually like an acturial science. For a short period of time, I've also done Game Console Testing which is for kids. And now, I'm into web applications that uses Java as the platform.

In June, it will be my 6th month and I'm so thrilled that I was able to learn and experience new things. May it be good or bad, from the bloopers I've done when testing in Production to the meetings I've attended together with the managers. My day to day work has been a challenge for me, but I kinda liked it for some reason. I'm beginning to get used to this fast-paced environment. I just hope and pray that I could still cope up with my work until my contract ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment