Sunday, July 10, 2011

mercato centrale @ bgc

I've heard of Mercato already being mentioned in the tweets of those people I'm following so I was a bit curious what was the fuss all about.  When my office mate opened a topic about it who is a hassler when it comes to great food tasting discoveries, I quickly agree on visiting the place. We planned to visit the place sometime last month and it was only yesterday morning that our plan was push through since it coincided with our Production deployment, meaning we're on night shift.  So we decided to proceed to the Fort after office hours.  There were 5 of us who went and see what Mercato has to offer and we were not disappointed.
 


Mercato Centrale is open Saturdays and Sundays from 6 am to 12 noon at the corner of 9th Avenue and 30th St., BGC (look for the covered tent near the Spa of Bonifacio High Street).  It has a wide range of foods to offer.  From barbecues, steaks, lechon, appetizers, desserts, organic food products, vegan fare. Name it, they’ve got it!  But we're there for breakfast, so we have to find a decent meal to full our growling stomache :)  Since we were there early, around 6:30AM, stall owners are still preparing their food.  I've ordered the bbq with java rice that is worth P65.  Not bad after all since one stick is very compact and very juicy.  


But what I'm really after was the Pan de bagnet at Bale Dutung.  It's an oven roasted pork belly enclosed in a ciabatta bun with some vegetable salsa. 


Since I'm full already, I opted to order it for Take out.  I also bought Mochiko, it is a Japanese confection that is made out of glutinous rice flour. Mochiko is filled with ice cream and is eaten as a snack.  I've ordered the vanilla mochiko which is filled with vanilla ice cream.  Once they serve it, let it stay for at least three minutes (to soften it) then bite on it.  There are different kinds of flavors to choose from: vanilla, azuki (red bean paste), green tea, strawberry, caramel, chocolate, avocado, coffee, mango, and black sesame each with a price of P70.  For my next visit, I'd like to try the azuki or the red bean paste and the green tea flavor. 


My officemates tried the quiche, spinach and feta pies, the hungarian sausage, and the paella negra. 





We were all full after that.  It was a great way to end our work week after all. Looking forward for my next visit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment